HPCSA: Bogus
Doctor
fooled system
The Health
Professions Council of SA
(HPCSA) has blamed itself for
allowing a bogus neurosurgeon to
practise at South African
hospitals.
The Health
Professions Council of SA (HPCSA)
has blamed itself for allowing a
bogus neurosurgeon to practise at
South African hospitals.
Qualified
general practitioner Nyunyi Wambuyi
Katumba did not meet the
requirements for registration as a
neurosurgeon, but was registered
with the council, HPCSA president
Sam Mokgokong told reporters in
Pretoria.
“We are
taking the blame on this one. The
error lies within us. Dr Katumba
cheated on our system,” Mokgokong
said.
“He
initially applied in 2003 to be
certified as a neurosurgeon in this
country. He sat for the South
African college examinations with
other doctors and he failed.”
Katumba,
originally from the Democratic
Republic of Congo, worked in South
Africa as a specialist from June
2007.
Mokgokong
said false information was submitted
to the council in 2007, stating that
Katumba had passed the necessary
examinations.
He was
subsequently registered in public
service neurosurgery.
After
serving for three years in the
public service, and after obtaining
South African permanent residence
status, Katumba was registered as a
specialist independent practice on
July 9 last year.
He
previously worked in Botswana and
Zimbabwe and was fired in both
countries.
In South
Africa, he worked at the Chris Hani
Baragwanath hospital in Soweto and
the Steve Biko Academic hospital in
Pretoria.
He was
fired from both institutions because
of incompetence.
“This man
was practising in the country after
being registered. He had the
required certificates to practise
that we had given him,” said
Mokgokong.
Investigations were underway to
determine who supplied the false
information on behalf of Katumba.
Mokgokong
confirmed that Katumba was a
qualified doctor who had worked in
the DRC.
No criminal
charges had been laid against him,
said HPCSA acting registrar Kgosi
Letlape.
“We cannot
be the ones running to the police
and saying we registered this man
while we were not supposed to have
done so. He was practising in the
country with the documents we gave
him.”
Katumba had
been de-registered and the council
was tightening up its systems to
introduce double-checking, Mokgokong
said.
Two former
staff members had been implicated so
far.
Qualifications of foreign qualified
practitioners employed in the last
10 years would now be verified.
South Africa
employs 400 foreign qualified
general practitioners and 500
specialist doctors annually.